COVENTRY – Last month, Coventry watched as two longtime residents, Claude and Pauline Hawkins, lose everything they owned in a house fire. Now, the community is coming together to reign in support for the family.
Early Thursday morning on Jan. 12, an active fire at 1 Stuart Drive, formerly known as 215 Harkney Hill Road, was reported to the Coventry Fire Alarm. Claude Hawkins, 74, and his wife, Pauline Hawkins, 71, were both inside the house at the time of the fire.
They were removed and treated by Emergency Medical Services (EMS) at the scene before they were transported to Rhode Island Hospital.
Pauline Hawkins had sustained burns to 40 percent of her body and Claude Hawkins was treated for smoke inhalation.
They also lost the house and all of their possessions in the fire.
Pauline Hawkins is still under care at Rhode Island Hospital, according to Reverend Robert Auld.
“It’s sad to see that in your golden years, you could have something like this happen,” said Joan Smith, one of the employees at Town Hall who knows the Hawkins. “It’s just a tragedy.”
The spaghetti dinner is tonight and will be held at Manchester Hall, 585 Washington St., from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. It is sponsored by the Rhode Island Masons of Western Coventry. Tickets are $10 per person.
The steak fry will be on March 2 and held at Club Jogues, 184 Boston St., at 7 p.m. Tickets are $20 per person and can be purchased at Town Hall or by calling the tax collector’s office at 822-9164. Anyone interested is asked to purchase a ticket by Wednesday, Feb. 22. The event is sponsored by Town Hall employees.
For more information, pick up today's Times.