Skip to main content

Union Fire District offers safety tips

December 10, 2010

Photo by Kathleen McKiernan Assistant Fire Marshals Bruce Rice, left, and Chris Hiener pose with a dummy at the Union Fire District in South Kingstown.

SOUTH KINGSTOWN – As the Christmas trees go up and the temperatures go down, it is the time of year where house fires are more likely to occur due to holiday hazards.
Assistant Fire Marshals at the Union Fire District in South Kingstown, Chris Hiener and Bruce Rice gave some tips on how best to avoid a fire this winter.

Lighting up that Christmas tree:
One major fire hazard is Christmas trees. Hiener said when people leave their house, they should turn off their Christmas tree lights or simply don’t leave the house unattended.
“With Christmas trees, if their fairly fresh cut and you keep watering it, usually it will do pretty good. But if you see an overabundance of needles, it’s a good idea to get it out,” Rice said.
Rice added that there is no hard or fast way of when to throw out the tree, but that it depends on the individual’s specific traditions.

Heating your home:
With the price of oil rising, many people may look to alternative ways to heat their homes, including using space heaters, which often result in many avoidable fire incidents.
“Improperly using space heaters is a problem, leaving them unattended or putting them too close to combustible material,” Hiener said.

For more information pick up the The Narragansett Times

View more articles in:
Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes