Skip to main content

North put EG away early Friday night

October 30, 2013

Photo by Matthew Preston

EAST GREENWICH – Non-league game or not, there was still much to be gained by both squads as the East Greenwich and North Kingstown football teams met at EG’s Carcieri Field Friday night. The Avengers had been routed on their home turf just one week prior – a 34-0 loss to Moses Brown – while the Skippers themselves were regaining their game.
Two weeks ago North suffered its first defeat of the season – a lopsided 34-8 loss to Rogers – but last week got back on track by handing Cumberland its first defeat 36-14.
Unfortunately for the host squad, all trends held as the Avengers continued to slide and the Skippers continued to gain momentum, cruising to the 39-14 win.
“We did some things pretty well,” said North coach Joe Gilmartin. “There are certain goals and objectives you have coming in and we were able to do a lot of the things we wanted to do pretty well.”
The Skippers came out looking for blood early and often, racking up three scores before the end of the first quarter, even going for a two-point conversion following their very first touchdown.
After winning the coin toss and electing to receive, it took less than 90 seconds for the Skippers to get into the end zone, putting together a five-play opening drive that culminated with quarterback Matt Madoian hooking up with Tristan Loghlin for a 22-yard touchdown completion and a 6-0 lead with 10:35 to play in the first quarter following a failed fake on the extra point attempt.
Senior running back Corey Coogan came away with a pair
of touchdown runs on the Skippers next two possessions in the quarter, getting in from 23 and 16-yards out to increase North’s lead to 20-0 while the Avengers failed to find any sort of rhythm early, going three-and-out on their first two possessions.
Trailing by 20 with 2:06 still remaining in the first quarter, the Avengers got the ball back and finally started to generate some momentum on the field. Starting with good field position on their own 42-yard line following a kickoff return by Cam Rocke, both the passing and ground attack sparked for East as they finally picked up a first down and advanced into North territory.
A pass interference call against North Kingstown in the end zone later in the drive gave the Avengers a first-and-goal from the NK nine-yard line.
While quarterback Andrew Miner could not connect with Rocke on a fade to the back corner of the end zone on East’s first down try, the Avengers came right back with the same play on second down and this time were far more successful as Rocke hauled it in over Loghlin for the score, cutting their deficit to 20-7 at 2:46 of the second after Brett Estes added the extra point.
Unfortunately for the Avengers, while their offense was finally heating up, the Skippers were showing no signs of slowing down, going right back to work after Rocke’s score and engineering yet another quick scoring drive.
“We’re not very big,” Gilmartin said. “[East Greenwich is] bigger than we are physically, so if we’re not able to dictate pace and tempo, we have a very difficult time. We have to be able to tire people out and use conditioning to our advantage.
“Once you get them tired, we were able to push on them at least a little bit.”
North’s up-tempo offense scored twice more before the end of the half, a short yardage run by Nick Chevalier and 39-yard scamper by Coogan, while the Skippers’ defense forced a three-and-out and a fumble on the Avengers’ next two possessions. In total, North scored on 5-of-6 drives in the first half and compiled a 32-7 lead by the break. The only time they did not score came on their last possession of the half as they ran the clock down to intermission.
The scoring slowed when the teams came back from half with the Skippers content with their 25-point cushion. After another EG three-and-out on the half’s opening possession, North took to the ground and burned 7:32 off the clock their first time holding the ball.
“They put their two’s in, they worked the clock, they pulled their foot off the gas pedal,” said Avenger coach John George. “That’s the only reason it wasn’t 60-0.”
It was a scoreless third quarter as things remained 32-7 before both sides traded touchdowns late in the fourth. North extended their lead to 39-7 courtesy of a one-yard run by Randy Sherwood at 7:46. The Avengers then brought the score to its 39-14 final when Miner tossed his second touchdown pass of the game, a 25-yard score to Carney Crawford at 9:59.

View more articles in:


Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes