Skip to main content

Klotz to serve eight years for kidnapping attempt

September 10, 2012

Matthew Klotz

SOUTH KINGSTOWN - Matthew Klotz, 27, of 244 Hempstead St., New London, Connecticut, pleaded no contest on Wednesday to a number of charges stemming from his attempted kidnapping of a Narragansett woman last October. Klotz, who was sentenced by Superior Court Justice Melanie Thunberg, will serve over 30 years between prison time and probation.

Klotz has been convicted of stalking, for which he will serve three years and another three on probation, as well as attempted kidnapping, which carries a sentencing of 20 years with eight to serve. Klotz must also serve 10 years with eight on probation for carrying a firearm during the incident.

Justice Thunberg has also stipulated, as part of his sentencing requirements, that Klotz have no contact with the victims and undergo mental health counseling. Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin’s Office stated that, if Klotz’s case went to trial, the State was prepared to prosecute to the full letter of the law.

At 4 p.m. on Friday, October 21, Klotz drove up behind a woman jogging along Ocean Road, exited his vehicle, and attempted to pull her back into his vehicle. The woman was able to escape and contact local authorities. Klotz had also tried to kidnap a woman a few days before, but she escaped as well.

A BOLO was received by South Kingstown Police on October 22 at 12:46 a.m. for the Klotz’s vehicle, a blue pick-up with Connecticut plates. Off-duty State Police officer John Gadrow observed Klotz’s vehicle parked on the side of Route 1, just south of Congdon Drive and saw him run out of the woods back onto the road.
Gadrow commanded Klotz to stop running. Klotz got into his pick-up and drove south on Route 1 until he was pulled over on Matunuck Beach Road. Gadrow identified the man as Klotz, who told him that he was on his way home to Westerly but wanted to pick up a pumpkin in Matunuck.
Gadrow called for assistance from South Kingstown Police and upon their arrival, Klotz was detained and handed over to detectives sent by the Narragansett Police Department. A black replica handgun was found in Klotz’s pick-up.

“My officers did the right thing by noticing that the suspect had a weapon and detaining him, and they placed him in the NPD cruiser,” said Captain Jeffrey Allen of SKPD at the time.

Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin praised the work of all the enforcement entities which have worked towards bringing Klotz’s case to a close, including Rhode Island State Police, South Kingstown Police Department, and Narragansett Police Department.

Along with Gadrow, SKPD officers Joan Rich and Douglas O'Brien apprehended Klotz, while NPD officials, Sergeant Matthew Sutton and Lieutenant Scott Perrin, as well as Detective Lieutenant Sean Corrigan, led the investigation. Attorney Mark Trovato prosecuted the case on behalf of the State.

Southern Rhode Island Newspapers
View more articles in:


Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes