Skip to main content

A fiery Wednesday morning in Narragansett

April 15, 2011

Photo By Shaun Kirby Firefighters responded to a lightning strike on the roof of Bonnet Place this past Wednesday morning.

NARRAGANSETT–Firefighters responded to a lightning strike at Bonnet Place, 1004 Boston Neck Road, in the north-end of Narragansett early Wednesday morning.

The fire was called in at 8:03 a.m. and NFD Rescue number 3 was the first to respond at 8:12 a.m. Engines from South and North Kingstown responded, and three Ladders from Narragansett also arrived on the scene. Multiple chiefs and deputies were on hand for assistance.

Lightning struck the cupola on the roof of Bonnet Place, igniting a fire. The fire was contained at 9:07 a.m. and did not spread to the rest of the structure.

Light smoke damage also occurred to the vacant offices just below the cupola on the third floor. Minor water damage was observed in the office’s elevator. No other businesses at Bonnet Place, such as Island Deli, were damaged. Fire officials left the scene at 10:09 a.m.

Another fire arose due to an electrical outlet malfuncion at 217 Indian Trail. NFD arrived on the scene at 7:48 a.m., while the first Engine came at 7:53 a.m. The fire was visible from the front of the one-floor ranch, but it was contained to a small portion of a wall inside the house.

Minor smoke damage was also visible on one side of the house.o one was injured in either incident. Captain James Givens investigated both fires. The owners of 217 Indian Trail Road were allowed to return to their property.

View more articles in:
Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes