- Special Sections
- Time Out
- Local Guide
NARRAGANSETT- A house located at 21 Algonquin Road in Narragansett caught fire Friday night, causing the death of one Exeter resident.
The Narragansett Fire Department stated that Daniel C. Bresnahan, 52, was pronounced dead at South County Hospital Friday night.
According to the spokesperson for the Rhode Island Department of Health, Andrea Bagnall Degos, the Office of State Medical Examiners stated that the cause of death was soot and smoke inhalation.
Narragansett Chief of Police Dean Hoxsie said that the call for the fire was made to dispatch at 10:09 p.m. The fire department and members of the police department arrived at the fire at 10:13 p.m.
Hoxsie also stated that the fire started in a back room of the house, but the body of the victim was found by the investigators in the living room area near the front door.
State of Rhode Island Fire Marshal John Chartier stated that the cause of the fire was accidental and was due to careless use of smoking materials.
Bresnahan lived year-round with his family at 79 Wolf Rock Roa in Exeter. The Bresnahan family has owned the Algonquin Road property since 1959 and Daniel Bresnahan acquired the house in 2012.