WEST WARWICK â€“ Mail-in ballots were still being counted as of Wednesday morning at West Warwick Town Hall after a heavy turnout at the polls for Tuesdayâ€™s General Election. Of the 18,980 eligible voters in town, 11,082 cast a ballot.
Adam Satchell, Democrat candidate for the district nine Senate seat, took the lead early in Tuesdayâ€™s election and stayed strong, defeating his Republican opponent Paul Caianiello Jr., 6,336 votes to Cianielloâ€™s 3,149.
Satchellâ€™s goal is to continue to reach out to his constituents and answer questions as well as working to revitalize the Arctic area remain his top priorities.
Incumbent Democrat Town Councilman David Gosselin Jr., will serve West Warwickâ€™s ward 2 for another term after defeating Republican Gary Trott, 1,179 to 489 votes.
Gosselin will continue to focus on keeping the streets safe and clean,
improving communications between town council members and residents in an effort to keep everyone informed.
â€śI want to thank the residents of ward 2 for giving me another opportunity to serve them,â€ť said Gosselin. â€śIt is going to be a very tough two years with the pension issues. I promise to work endlessly with the Town Council to resolve the issues.â€ť
Incumbent Democrat Town Councilman Ed Giroux defeated Republican Alice Losasso by just over 300 votes â€“ 924 votes to Losassoâ€™s 603 votes.
He wanted to thank everyone who helped on his campaign as well as send out a congratulations to his opponents because he said anyone who puts themselves out there to take part in a campaign.
â€śThis was the most difficult campaign Iâ€™ve been in,â€ť he said. â€śIâ€™m flattered that there 60 percent of voters out there who have the faith but I want to make the other 40 percent happy as well. I was concerned with all the negativity out there that people wouldnâ€™t see the truth, but the bottom line is people are having faith that Iâ€™ll do the right thing for them for the next two years.â€ť
Giroux has already spoken to newly-elected Town Councilman David Kenahan as well as other members of the Council in an effort to begin to get issues resolved.