Skip to main content

Coventry tabs Cardi Corp. to repair riverbank

April 3, 2014

An excavator works during the rebuilding of the Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene Memorial Bridge in Anthony. Repairs will soon start on the riverbank that was damaged by the 2010 floods. File Photo.

COVENTRY— Four years ago the Pawtuxet River overflowed as a result of massive amounts of rainfall, destroying many sections of town, including the former Laurel Avenue Bridge and the riverbanks of the Anthony Mill.

With the new Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene Memorial Bridge in place, the town plans to tackle the next project—restoring the riverbank.

During a recent town council meeting, Town Manager Tom Hoover said, the council approved a contract to the Cardi Corporation for $2.7 million for the Pawtuxet River Stabilization Project.

Although the town would not be responsible for paying for the project, he said, they would be the sponsor.

Because of the flooding in 2010, the town was able to secure a federal grant from the USDA-Natural Resource Conservation Service; the federal government will pay 80 percent of the funding and the companies located on the property, Anthony Mill and Concordia Fibers, LLC., would split the other 20 percent.

Hoover said it took multiple years to begin the construction because the town went out to bid several times but the bids that came back were higher than the money available through the government.

For the full story please purchase a copy of the Times!

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes