SHAB decision and safety discussed in Hopkinton
HOPKINTONâ€”The town council applauded their legal team Monday night for the recent ruling in Hopkintonâ€™s favor by the State Housing Appeals Board concerning the Brushy Brook development.
The ruling upholds the planning boardâ€™s 2010 decision to limit the number of homes built and to ask for some reconfiguring of the layout of the plan.
Councilman Scott Bill Hirst said they could â€śbask in a great victory,â€ť calling it a learning experience for Hopkinton and many other towns.
Councilman David Husband said he was â€śextraordinarily pleased,â€ť and that the project, had it gone forward as proposed would have affected not just the schools [with a large increase in students and funds needed to support them], but also the fire department, ground water and [more].
Town Solicitor Patricia Buckley said that the developer can still appeal the decision, but that she was not too concerned, calling it â€śsustainableâ€ť in court.
Town Manager William McGarry, in his report, said that three of the contract issues with the police department had been resolved and they were working on the one remaining.
â€śThe result, in large part, was due to the hard work of the planning board in hearing evidence over months and months of hearing and ensuring their decision was based on solid record evidence,â€ť Scott Levesque, attorney for the Hopkinton Planning Board, said Wednesday.
Levesque also commended the State Housing Appeals Board for their decision.
For more on this story and other local news, pick up a copy of The Chariho Times.