- Special Sections
- Time Out
CHARLESTOWN â€” Representatives from Charlestown, Richmond and Hopkinton advocated for their townsâ€™ needs at a special state presentation of new Hurricane Sandy Community Development Block Grants â€“ Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR), which took place at Charlestown Town Hall last Thursday.
In â€śVersion 3â€ť of the grants, Washington County is set to receive about $15 million, which is 80 percent of the $19.4 million allocated to Rhode Island. The remaining 20 percent is reserved for statewide activities with an emphasis on Newport.
CDBG-DR Program Manager Laura Sullivan presented slides that explained the application process and rules for the new grants. Chief of Housing and Community Development Michael Tondra was also available to answer questions.
Sullivan said that municipalities, state agencies, and nonprofit organizations are eligible to receive funds from the â€śVersion 3â€ť grants and that awards distribution will be based on needs assessment. Low/moderate income beneficiaries (defined as 80 percent of area median income) are designated to receive 50 percent of the funds.