Skip to main content

Syndicate contentThe Chariho Times

Richmond Town Council approves tree ordinance

March 22, 2013

RICHMOND – More than 20 residents were present Tuesday for a public hearing on the proposed town tree ordinance, which the Richmond Town Council approved in a 4-1 vote.
The purpose of the ordinance is “to preserve and maintain trees on town property and to protect the public health, safety and welfare of the residents of Richmond.”

Source 
Southern Rhode Island Newspapers

Thanks to Chariho, Hopkinton gets a tax break

March 22, 2013

HOPKINTON—The town council plans to give taxpayers a further break on their tax bill with the recent funds freed up by the Chariho School District. The Chariho School Committee reduced its budget by $155,000 at a recent meeting, essentially returning $55,831 back to Hopkinton’s fiscal year 2013-2014 budget.
The town council met in a budget workshop Monday night to discuss the use of the funds.

Source 
Southern Rhode Island Newspapers

Amendment would waive interest on one missed tax bill

March 8, 2013

HOPKINTON—A public hearing was held Monday night on an ordinance amendment meant to help taxpayers, and will come up for a vote at the town council’s next meeting.
The amendment, introduced by Hopkinton Town Council President Frank Landolfi, is one of the “small things we can do to help” the taxpayers—without affecting the town financially—that he said he is always looking for.

Source 
Southern Rhode Island Newspapers

Copar Quarries public hearing continued, again

March 8, 2013

Another long night of legal wrangling on Tuesday; public hearing pushed to March 27

WESTERLY – After another long night of testimony from lawyers and others involved in the Copar Quarries appeal before the Westerly Zoning Board, the public hearing was continued, again.

Source 
Southern Rhode Island Newspapers

Residents speak out on Chariho budget

March 8, 2013

RICHMOND — Local residents of the Chariho Regional School District had the opportunity to voice their opinions and ask questions regarding the proposed school system’s budget last night.

Source 
Southern Rhode Island Newspapers

Spending cuts could impact aid to victims of Superstorm Sandy

March 1, 2013

WASHINGTON – More than $17 million in spending cuts could go into effect in Rhode Island Friday if Congress fails to agree on a plan to reduce the deficit and avoid the cuts, according to the White House.
Additionally, a total of $3 billion of federal funding for victims of Superstorm Sandy could be cut unless Congress acts to avoid automatic the scheduled spending cuts.

Source 
Southern Rhode Island Newspapers

DEM: no dust violations at Copar Quarries

March 1, 2013

WESTERLY – No dust violations have been found at Copar Quarries by the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management since the agency began investigating complaints lodged against the company since August 2011, the state agency said in a letter last week.

Source 
Southern Rhode Island Newspapers

Richmond public works praised for storm response

February 22, 2013

WYOMING - Protection of trees and how the town responded to the historic blizzard were the main focuses at Tuesday night’s Richmond Town Council meeting.
Resident James Carnegis requested the tree ordinance, which did not receive a second and therefore did not go to vote at the town council’s last meeting, be reconsidered.

Source 
Southern Rhode Island Newspapers

New bill introduced to protect WPWA

February 22, 2013

WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Jack Reed (D-RI) and Congressman Jim Langevin (D-RI) reintroduced a bill Friday to make federal restoration and conservation resources available to the Pawcatuck River, as well as other South County and Southeast Connecticut streams.

Source 
Southern Rhode Island Newspapers

Council applauds Brushy Brook ruling

February 11, 2013

SHAB decision and safety discussed in Hopkinton

HOPKINTON—The town council applauded their legal team Monday night for the recent ruling in Hopkinton’s favor by the State Housing Appeals Board concerning the Brushy Brook development.
The ruling upholds the planning board’s 2010 decision to limit the number of homes built and to ask for some reconfiguring of the layout of the plan.

Source 
Southern Rhode Island Newspapers
Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes